U-Visa for victims of crime

What Is a U-Visa?

If you are the victim of a crime or crimes that happened in the United States or violated U.S. laws, you could be eligible for a U Non-Immigrant Visa. To qualify, you must have been the victim of at least one of a specific list of crimes, you must have cooperated with whatever law enforcement agency or agencies that are investigating the crime, and the crime must have caused physical or mental abuse, This visa both protects you from the perpetrator and helps police investigate the crime so that the perpetrator can be held accountable. This visa will give you legal status in the United States temporarily while law enforcement is tracking down and prosecuting the criminal. If you’ve been a victim, you need an experienced immigration lawyer to support you every step of the way. Let our compassionate legal team help you fight for the justice you deserve.

Will a U-Visa Qualify Me for a Green Card?

Although a U-Visa is a non-immigrant visa, it does grant you specific rights. Among those rights is the ability to get a driver’s license, open a bank account, enroll in a course of study at a vocational or academic institution, or work legally in the United States. If, however, you have held your U-Visa for three years, you may apply for a green card and become a legal permanent resident of the U.S. To qualify, though, you must have complied with all the requests of the law enforcement officers and shared everything you know with the proper law enforcement agencies. Make sure you’re connected with an experienced immigration attorney to help you through this often-stressful process.
Schedule A Consultation

How Can I Apply for a U-Visa?

First, you need to contact the law enforcement agency investigating the crime that you were a victim of. You’ll need to cooperate with their requests for information about the crime so that they provide you with victim status. At this point, you’ll need an attorney to advise you about what information you need to share with the police. Then, you’ll need to complete the U-Visa application form. Next, you’ll need to gather up all the documents you need and submit them to a U.S. embassy or USCIS office. You don’t need to go through this process alone. Get in touch with our immigration lawyers today.